Rubean’s new mobile point of sale (mPOS) solution was originally designed for small and/or mobile merchants (eg. street vendors, fast food stands, café’s, hair salons, taxi drivers, trades people) although, in reality, it can be used by merchants of any size (eg. large retailers, restaurants). RubeanPOS takes the form of a mobile App which will enable a suitable smartphone (currently from the Samsung Galaxy range, but with other brands of phone on the roadmap) to accept contactless card payments as if it were a Chip & PIN device at retailer’s point of sale. A vendor can simply download the app to their phone and start taking payments : This is a “software-only” solution where no further hardware or peripheral devices are required. Today the App accepts PayPass (Mastercard), payWave (VISA) and girocard (in Germany).
This lean acceptance solution has special relevance in countries with a high percentage of contactless EMV cards (like UK: 70%, Poland: 90%, Czech Republic: 80%, Spain: 75%, France: 50%, Switzerland: 50%, Australia: 70%) and/or EMV enabled phones (like in Japan, South Korea, Singapore and Taiwan).
Smaller merchants and Traders stand to benefit : Many Merchants still only accept cash payments, citing the prohibitive cost of leasing POS hardware as the main reason.
- We’re all carrying less cash these days and the ability for a (hitherto cash-only) merchant to accept card payments with their own smartphone will increase their customer conversion rate.
- Street vendors, food outlets and the like also benefit since they won’t be forced to carry large sums of cash which makes them a target for criminals.
- Trades people won’t be forced to chase cash payments from their customers (often several trips) if they can take card payments on the spot.
Larger merchants and Retailers also stand to gain : Valuable retail floor-space is devoted to fixed POS functions – “check-outs” by any other name.
- By enabling more shop assistants to take card payments out on the shop-floor, the retailer can devote MORE floor-space to revenue-generating activities.
- Customers can buy their items on the shop-floor without having to queue at POS – Hugely important for busy periods like Lunch-hours and Christmas
- This customer-focused initiative would be genuinely appreciated by shoppers and improve retail operational efficiencies across the board.
Pin-on-Glass - Uniquely, Rubean’s solution offers users and merchants the option to incorporate a secure PIN entry mechanism into the payment process. Known as “PIN-on-glass”, this additional authentication mode is typically required for transactions above a specific value (eg 25 EUR in Germany). The technology is configurable and is already implemented for the German “girocard” debit card. For Mastercard and Visa cards, however, ‘PIN on glass’ is currently disabled due to scheme specifications. Accordingly, Mastercard and Visa cards can thus only accept payment amounts up to a nominated ‘floor limit’.
How it works
The card acceptance workflow:
- The merchant takes his own phone, opens the RubeanPOS app, enters the payment amount (alternatively, the app can interface with a Point-of-Sale system or Retail POS app to receive the sales transaction summary and monetary values in preparation for taking card payment) and shows the phone display to the customer. The phone screen displays the payment amount to the customer together with the logos of the supported card schemes
- The merchant (or customer) touches the customer’s NFC debit / credit card to the back of the merchant’s phone. The card provides a cryptogram on the transaction data, communicated via contactless technology, proving that the card was present at the transaction. Low value, PIN-less transactions are completed here.
- If a girocard is used and the payment amount exceeds the floor limit, the customer is requested to enter the card PIN on the secured phone display. Currently, if a Mastercard or Visa card is used and the payment amount exceeds the floor limit, the customer is requested to choose another way of payment.
- Finally, RubeanPOS displays the result of the payment authorization request.
If the customer requests a digital receipt, they are asked to enter their name and mobile phone number and then receive the receipt via SMS. Recurring customers, who once have already entered their name and phone number, may just verbally confirm their name to the merchant. The merchant can then enter the name into the app and initiate the receipt dispatch as well as the award of loyalty points, if applicable.
- Over alternative mPOS solutions :
RubeanPOS just requires the merchant to download an app to their own smartphone and thus is …
- more cost-effective and easier to handle, especially for a mobile merchant
- Over other app-based mPOS solutions :
RubeanPOS is the WORLD’s FIRST app-based mPOS solution to incorporate a ‘PIN on glass’ (card PIN entry on phone display) function. This is based on a waiver for German debit card ‘girocard’